Contact: at gmail,
justin.gordon, 141 Makahiki Street, Paia, HI 96779, (808)
281-7272 (M), Linked In.
- Currently Rails consulting.
- Ruby on Rails full stack engineer, ruby, coffeescript, jQuery, saas, haml.
- Extensive contributions to high performance Java enterprise applications used by the world’s largest retailers.
- Areas of expertise include: Ruby on Rails, Test Driven Development (rspec and JUnit), profiling and optimizing (with Yourkit), concurrency, caching, EmberJs.
- University of California at Berkeley, Walter Haas School of Business MBA, December 2001, Beta Gamma Sigma, Management of Technology Certificate
- Harvard University, BA Applied Mathematics, Magna Cum Laude, 1991
- Chartered Financial Analyst, 1996
Rails Consulting Projects
IBM (Trigo Acquisition), InfoSphere MDM Collaborative Edition
- Narrative of Details
- November, 2002 to 2013. Team Lead, Senior Engineer, Architect, in Burlingame, CA and telecommuting from Maui since 2007.
- The world’s largest retailers, including Walmart and Lowes, use the algorithms designed, implemented, and optimized by Justin to store and edit all their vendor product data currently.
- Java software engineering leadership on 3 tier web-based enterprise application for product information management, collection and distribution, for the world’s largest retailers.
- Broad contributions to all aspects of the leading (according to Gartner) product for Master Data Management of Product Information, used by many of the world’s largest retailers.
- Most significant contribution is the lead implementer of improved storage layer architecture from shredded database tables to highly performing binary serialization, using an XP development methodology (TDD, pair programming, and scrum meetings), along with a mechanism of searching the data via database XML.
- Responsible for the majority of server side performance optimizations, such as the use of EhCache distributed caching. Led integration of profilers into PIM product for more efficient customer support.
- Responsible for all development aspects of releases from 4.2.1, 5.0.1 (Home Depot/Albertsons “Large Retailer” release), 6.x, and 9.x, from negotiation of product feature set and schedule, to developer assignments, to handling resource re-allocations, to development procedures, to bug triage, and final release.
- Process and innovation driver: Instigated move toward Agile Development Methodologies, including Pair Programming and Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Main contact for tough customer issues, especially regarding performance (cpu and memory usage), data integrity, caching, and threading issues.
- Developed methodology to bring TDD product wide using the Dependent Object Framework.
- 1999-2001, Emeryville, CA, Architect, Tools
- Responsible for all of Extensity’s development efforts (all Java) aimed at system administrators and integrators, including serving as the co-architect of cross-functional efforts to improve the efficiency of Extensity’s professional services. Conducted architecture and code reviews, gathered customer requirements, created design documents, conducted training sessions, and supervised team members. Awarded “Employee of the Month” for October 2000. Promoted from “Team Lead” to “Architect” in June 2000.
- Led re-architecture of 5.0 System Administration Tool, from marketing requirements and initial design plans to coding and refinement to GA in June 2000.
- Primary designer and implementer of “Group Based Data” (Application security)
- Architect of the GuiEditor, an internal tool for designing screens and other installation customizations. Designed and coded tools for configuration of sample and meta data.
- Led the design for multinational organizations with features such as support for VAT.
- My talks at Dr. Dobbs were the basis for the chapter on Test Driven Development in A Practical Guide to Distributed Scrum.